White Alligator Toy
A white alligator can either be albino or leucistic. The difference between the two is that albinism is the complete lack of the pigment melanin, whereas leucism is the result of lacking melanin in certain parts of the body. An albino alligator will have pink eyes, whereas one with leucism will have blue eyes.
- History: To give you an idea of just how rare white alligators are, it’s estimated that there are only 12 leucistic American alligators out of a population of over 5 million. Sadly, white alligators born in the wild are at an extreme disadvantage, and researchers believe they rarely live past infancy due to their lack of camouflage and the stressful effects sunlight can have on them.
- Scientific Name: Alligator mississippiensis
- Characteristics: White alligators are exceptionally rare, especially in the wild where they’re susceptible to predators while they’re young due to their lack of camouflage. Some cultures believe that seeing a white alligator brings luck, so make sure to spread the good fortune around by displaying this beautifully painted white alligator toy figurine where everyone can see it!
- Size: 6 inches long and 3.25 inches wide, this white alligator toy model is a bit shorter and wider than a 16 oz. water bottle resting on its side.
- The White Alligator is part of the Wild Safari® Wildlife collection
- : All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.