Pterosaurs were the first reptiles to develop powered flight. They lived for a long time, from the Late Triassic to the End of the Cretaceous (228-66 million years ago). Although they are sometimes referred to as ‘flying dinosaurs,’ this is incorrect. Although they are closely related to dinosaurs, they are technically just outside of the group, so paleontologists refer to pterosaurs ad dinosaurs as ‘sistergroups’.
- History: The first pterosaur was described a long time ago – in 1784. Pterosaurs were first thought to be swimmers because the paleontologist who found it thought that its wings were paddles. Soon after, the famous French anatomist and paleontologist Georges Cuvier realized that the paddles were actually wings, and that this was a flying creature.
- Characteristics: This Pterosaur toy accurately depicts the prehistoric reptile - Unlike birds, which have wings mostly made of feathers, the wings of pterosaurs are made of skin, more like a modern bat. However, the skin membrane of the bat’s wing is supported by four really long fingers. A pterosaur wing has only one long finger supporting its leading (front) edge. So, although the pterosaur wing and bat wing are superficially similar, they are quite different under the skin. Pterosaurs lived on earth for a long time, so there are many different kinds.
- Size: This Pterosaur toy is 4 inches long and 7 inches wide.
- The Pterosaur is part of the Wild Safari® Prehistoric World collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free