Save Liquid error (snippets/product-badge line 32): Computation results in '-Infinity'%
Pteranodon was a large pterosaur from the Late Cretaceous Period, around 85 million years ago. Despite often being grouped with dinosaurs, pterosaurs were a separate but related group of flying reptiles. While they did not have feathers like birds and some dinosaurs, some pterosaurs were covered in hair-like structures called “pycnofibers”.
- History: Pteranodon was the first pterosaur discovery in the United States, and the first pterosaur to be found in any location other than Europe. Prior to Pteranodon's discovery, all pterosaurs known to science had teeth. Pteranodon’s distinctive crest actually varied greatly in size among the known specimens, leading scientists to believe that it likely was used for display, rather than any practical function.
- Scientific Name: Pteranodon (“Toothless Wing”) longiceps
- Characteristics: Though pterosaurs flew, this Pteranodon figure is posed at rest on the ground, showing off its large and dynamic crest. It was long debated whether pterosaurs walked using two legs or four, until pterosaur tracks were discovered indicating a four-legged walk.
- Size: This at-rest Pteranodon figure is about 3 ½ inches high and 4 inches in length, about the size of a muffin (though much less tasty…don’t eat it).
- The Pteranodon is part of the Wild Safari® Prehistoric World collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free