Save Liquid error (snippets/product-badge line 32): Computation results in '-Infinity'%
Prestosuchus was a predatory reptile that lived during the Triassic Period in South America around 240 million years ago. It could grow over 20 feet long and had a massive head full of sharp teeth. Despite its dinosaur-like appearance, it was actually a rauisuchid, closely related to Postosuchus. Rauisuchids were not dinosaurs, but ancient relatives of crocodiles.
- History: Though Prestosuchus was first discovered and described around 1940, it wasn’t until 2013 that it was fully understood, as a nearly complete specimen was discovered that gave scientists new insight into how its leg muscles worked. This well preserved skeleton helped paleontologists learn how Prestosuchus walked and moved while alive.
- Scientific Name: Prestosuchus chiniquensis (“Prestes Crocodile” after paleontologist Vicentino Prestes de Almeida)
- Characteristics: Prestosuchus walked mostly on four legs, with its limbs held erect beneath its body, which our Prestosuchus toy reflects. Its head was very large with a deep skull, and it was likely covered in scales similar to its crocodile relatives.
- Size: This Prestosuchus toy measures 9 inches long and about 2 ½ inches tall, about the size of a pair of scissors.
- The Prestosuchus is part of the Wild Safari® Prehistoric World collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free