Microraptor was a small, feathered dinosaur that occupied the forested wetlands of early Cretaceous China. About the size of a raven, it had large feathers on its arms and legs. Despite its bird-like appearance, Microraptor also had several features typical of dinosaurs, including rows of sharp teeth, claws on its hands, and a long, bony tail. This species helped prove that dinosaurs and birds are closely related.
- History: Microraptor belongs to a group of ‘raptor’ type dinosaurs, more properly known as dromaeosaurids, which also includes Velociraptor and Deinonychus. The discovery of this feathered species has drastically changed our understanding of the appearance of ‘raptor’ dinosaurs. Many Microraptor fossils preserve both the animal’s bones and feathers. The feathered, wing-like arms of Microraptor were suitable for gliding flight. Its wing feathers had a central vane and an asymmetrical shape, just like the feathers in modern flying birds.
- Scientific Name: Microraptor gui
- Characteristics: Microraptor is renowned for the long feathers that were present on both its arms and legs, which you can see on our Microraptor toy. This four-winged dinosaur had jaws that were filled with tiny, sharp, serrated teeth and a long, feathered tail.
- Size: This Microraptor toy figure has a wingspan of 7 inches and is 5.25 inches long.
- The Microraptor is part of the Wild Safari® Prehistoric World collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free