The Maned Wolf of South America is the tallest canid – a group that contains wolves, foxes, jackals, coyotes and dogs. Its long legs help it navigate the tall grass of its habitat, while its distinctive black mane help it to appear larger when threatened by a predator.
- History: Though its orange-red coloration resembles a fox, and it is called a wolf, it is not closely related to either animal. In fact, it is not closely related to any other member of its family, Canidae. Some scientists think it is the sole survivor of a group of large canids that lived in South America during the Pleistocene Epoch, which ended over 11,000 years ago.
- Scientific Name: Chrysocyon brachyurus
- Characteristics: This Maned Wolf figure is accurate and detailed, with the animal’s characteristic long legs and neck mane well represented. It’s sculpted in a walking pose, with its head turned quizzically to the left. Perhaps it’s spotted you!
- Size: The Maned Wolf figure is about 4 inches long and 3 ½ inches tall.
- The Maned Wolf is part of our Wild Safari Wildlife collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free