The babirusa is a unique member of the pig family known for its long, curving tusks. Its name means “deer pig” and refers both to the antler-like tusks, and the long, deer-like legs. Babirusa are only found in the Wallacea island group in Indonesia.
- History: Babirusa were once thought to be a single species, but now it is believed there are four separate types, the most recognizable of which is the Sulawesi babirusa. These animals are only located on specific islands in the Wallacea group, and their presence on some islands but not others may be due to humans bringing them from island to island to give as gifts. All babirusa types face threats from hunting and habitat loss, and are either listed as vulnerable or, in the case of the Togian babirusa, endangered.
- Scientific Name: Genus Babyrousa
- Characteristics: Our babirusa toy figure is replicated in exacting hand painted detail, accurately capturing its wrinkled skin and curved tusks in its upper and lower jaw.
- Size: This babirusa toy measures 4 inches long and 2.25 inches high, about as tall as a credit card stood on its side, and just a bit longer.
- The Babirusa is part of the Wild Safari® Wildlife collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.