The sail-backed Spinosaurus was one of the longest meat-eating dinosaurs of all time. This long-snouted theropod dinosaur was adapted for a semi-aquatic lifestyle. It hunted for fish in the river deltas of northern Africa during the late Cretaceous, 100 million years ago.
- History: This spectacular carnivore was first named by German Paleontologist Ernst Stromer, in 1915. Stromer’s expeditions to the Great Western Desert of Egypt, Africa, recovered the partial remains of a large predator, which he brought back to Germany and named Spinosaurus. These original fossils of Spinosaurus were entirely destroyed during the Second World War, when a bomb hit the museum in Munich, Germany.
- Scientific Name: Spinosaurus aegyptiacus
- Characteristics: Spinosaurus was a giant carnivore with a spectacular tall sail running along its back, and a long snout filled with pointed conical teeth which this Spinosaurus toy shows accurately. It had short muscular legs with three-toed feet, and short arms with three-fingered hands and an enlarged claw on its thumb. It could reach massive sizes up to 49 feet long.
- Size: This Spinosaurus toy model is 8.5 inches long and 4.5 inches high.
- The Spinosaurus is part of the Wild Safari® Prehistoric World collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free