Flamingos are a group made up of six species of colorful water birds, found in South and Central America, Africa, the Caribbean, the Middle East and India, with one species occasionally venturing into Florida in the United States. These highly social birds travel in flocks of thousands of individual birds. Their unusual beaks are specialized for filtering out brine shrimp and algae from the water.
- History: The word flamingo comes from the Spanish word “flamengo” which means “flame-colored” and alludes to their bright reddish pink coloration. This color is actually the result of the flamingo’s diet, as they break down substances called carotenoids in the brine shrimp and algae they consume and turn it into pigment, which shows up in the striking reds and pinks of their feathers.
- Scientific Name: Family Phoenicopteridae
- Characteristics: This flamingo toy features a highly detailed sculpt and paint that highlights the bird’s most recognizable traits, from its uniquely curved beak to its long neck and legs. It’s posed on a base of algae covered ground for stability.
- Size: This flamingo toy figure is just over 3 ¼ inches tall and just over 2 inches long, or about as big as a deck of cards stood upright.
- The Flamingo is part of the Wings of the World Birds collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free