Masiakasaurus is a small bizarre meat-eating dinosaur that was named in 2001. It surprised paleontologists because of its oddly shaped jaws and protruding teeth. It lived in Madagascar during the Late Cretaceous, at the end of the ‘age of the dinosaurs’, 65 million years ago.
- History: The first bones of Masiakasaurus were recovered as isolated specimens from a small area that belonged to at least six individuals. More fossil material was subsequently discovered at 30 localities across northern Madagascar, and these were described in 2011, providing information on about 65% of the skeleton. This makes Masiakasaurus one of the best known dinosaurs of its kind.
- Scientific Name: Masiakasaurus knopfleri
- Characteristics: Masiakasaurus is a small-bodied meat-eating dinosaur. It walked on two long legs and balanced its body with a long tail. It had a relatively long neck and short arms. Its jaws and teeth are its most distinctive character – the tips of its jaws splay outwards and its front teeth point forward, which are accurately recreated in this Masiakasaurus toy. At 6 feet long it was one of the smaller predatory dinosaurs.
- Size: This Masiakasaurus toy is 7.25 inches long and 3.25 inches high.
- The Masiakasaurus is part of the Wild Safari® Prehistoric World collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free