Hyaenodon Gigas Toy
The fearsome looking Hyaenodons were the top predators of their day, reigning for over 25 million years from the Eocene to the Miocene epochs. Though their name references the hyena, the two animals are not closely related to each other. Hyaenodons looked like and behaved in a manner more akin to modern day wolves.
- History: Hyaenodons were widespread at the time of their existence, with species found in Africa, Asia, North America and Europe. Hyaenodon gigas, one of the largest species, was found in Mongolia and lived during the Oligocene Epoch. Hyaenodon could grow to ten feet long and five feet at the shoulder, and could weigh over 1,000 lbs.
- Scientific Name: Hyaenodon (“Hyena Tooth”) gigas
- Characteristics: This prowling Hyaenodon gigas toy figure is opening its mouth wide to show off its namesake teeth. The figure is professionally painted and sculpted in intricate, scientifically accurate detail, right down to the inside of its gaping mouth. But don’t be scared of its snarl, it won’t bite!
- Size: This Hyaenodon gigas toy is 6 ¾ inches long and 3 inches tall, or a bit larger than a soda can on its side.
- The Hyaenodon gigas is part of the Wild Safari® Prehistoric World collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.