The three-horned Triceratops is the most famous – and most gigantic – of all the horned dinosaurs. This iconic animal browsed for plants in North America during the Late Cretaceous, 65 million years ago.
Triceratops was the first horned dinosaur ever found, which is why it is so famous. The first fossil of Triceratops was discovered in Colorado in 1887. It consisted of a pair of horns that, at first, were thought to belong to an extinct species of bison, but more complete material from Wyoming and Montana showed this was a new type of dinosaur.
- Scientific Name: Triceratops horridus
- Characteristics: Triceratops is best known for its horns: a short one on its nose, and a long horn over each eye, which are accurately depicted in our Triceratops toy. It also has a curved beak, and a solid bony frill on the back of its head. It walked on four short robust legs. Its front legs have five toes, of which three have blunt claws, and the hind feet have four large toes with hoof-like claws. At 26 ft long it was one of the largest horned dinosaurs.
- Size: This Triceratops toy is 8 inches long and 2.75 inches high.
- The Triceratops is part of the Wild Safari® Prehistoric World collection
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free