Unlike many other animals, white coloration in sheep is a dominant gene, rather than a recessive gene or mutation like albinism and leucism. Therefore, black sheep are fairly rare, occurring in about 25% of cases when two white sheep that carry the recessive black gene produce offspring.
- Scientific Name: Ovis aries
- Characteristics: This woolly black sheep figure is putting his best foot forward. Finely detailed to accurately represent the crimped curly wool of sheep, each figure is individually hand painted and unique.
- Size and Color: Our black sheep figure is 3 ¼ inches long and 3 inches high, or about the size of a standard deck of playing cards stood on its side. This sheep features the rare black wool coat seen in very few sheep.
- The Black Sheep is part of the Safari Farm collection.
- All of our products are Non-toxic and BPA free.