One of the things I love most about our Safari Ltd. toys is how much my kids can learn with them through their play. When our animals are out I am constantly answering questions about where different animals live! I love that my kids are so curious about the world. We created this world map poster to help learn more about where our TOOB critters live. Read below to learn how to make one for yourself!
- 1 large white or blue poster board
- Construction paper
- World map templates
- Glue stick
- Black and blue paint
- Paint brush
- Safari Ltd Endangered Species - Land TOOB®
- Alphabet stamps or stickers (optional)
How to Make a DIY World Map:
- Step 1: Print the World Map Templates and cut out the pieces. Trace each shape onto construction paper. You can make your continents any color you like! We chose to make each of ours a different color so that our world looked like a rainbow. Cut out your construction paper continents. Label each continent with stamps, stickers or by writing the name!
- Step 2: If your poster board is white, give it a coat of blue paint! Once it is dry, glue the continents onto the poster with your glue stick. It might be helpful to lay all of the pieces out first to figure out how they fit best before gluing.
- Step 3: Using black paint and a q-tip, your kids can trace the outline of each continent by making little dots around the edges. This is wonderful fine motor practice and adds a layer of interest to your map.
Once your map is finished and dry, pull out your Safari Ltd. TOOB animals (or larger animals!) and talk with your kids about where each lives. You can use books or your computer to look up information about different habitats across the globe! Having authentic conversations like these is a great way to introduce new vocabulary to your kids while having fun together!